QUALITY ASSURANCE POLICY
OF THE ATHENS UNIVERISTY OF ECONOMICS & BUSINESS
The Athens University of Economics and Business implements a quality policy to continuously improve its study programs, research activities and administrative services and upgrade its academic and administrative work and its general operation.
This goal is accomplished due to the University's commitment to providing high-quality services, continuously meeting both the demands and expectations of its students, alumni, teaching, research and administrative staff, University partners, institutions, and society.
The Athens University of Economics and Business, with its main goal of international recognition as a centre of excellence in the sciences of Economics, Business Administration, and Computer Information, establishes, implements, controls, and maintains a Quality Assurance System. The Quality Assurance System determines the processes related to the effective organization of services, both academic and non-academic, the rational management of resources, the utilization and development of its human resources and its compliance with the specifications provided by the National Higher Education Authority. In addition, it identifies the responsibility of the University’s leadership for the effective implementation of the Quality Assurance System and upholds the academic principles of ethics and non-discrimination.
The implementation of the University’s quality objectives requires:
1. orientation towards the full satisfaction of student needs through the provision of high-level study programs of all three study cycles in modern subjects combined with research and practical training,
2. appropriateness of the structure and organization of its study programs,
3. development and improvement of its existing study programs and the creation of new ones,
4. pursuit of learning outcomes and qualifications in accordance with the European and National Framework of Higher Education Qualifications,
5. continuous improvement of the quality and effectiveness of its teaching services,
6. promotion of the quality and quantity of the research work conducted by its members,
7. qualifications suitability of its teaching staff,
8. connection of teaching with research, integrating the needs of the labour market,
9. demand for the acquired qualifications of the graduates in the labour market,
10. constant provision of quality and digitally developed services to students,
11. focus on meeting the needs of its human capital through their participation in the decision-making process, continuous training, and skill development,
12. high performance scores through systematic improvement actions regarding its structure, processes, and human resources, utilizing all available resources for its smooth operation,
13. effective management through the establishment of specific objectives based on the Internal Quality Assurance System,
14. reinforcement of its international prestige and highlight of the work it produces to the international academic community and society,
15. transparency and compliance with existing operating rules by the parties involved in quality assurance,
16. operation based on recognized international quality standards,
17. focus on excellence, innovation, entrepreneurship, and extroversion through collaborations with educational institutions, organizations, and bodies of the public and private sector in Greece and abroad.
The quality policy is directly connected and an integral component of the University 's strategy, which is based on the following pillars:
• Excellence in Research
• Excellence in Education
• Connection with society
• Upgraded University Environment
• Quality Assurance
A necessary condition for the effective implementation of the Internal Quality Assurance System is the clear commitment of the administration, academic and administrative Departments of the University, staff members and students, according to the role assigned to them in the context of quality assurance. In particular, the administration undertakes the responsibility to contribute:
1. harmonizing the quality policy with the general strategic goals of the University at the level of its academic and administrative operations,
2. disseminating information regarding the quality policy to the academic and administrative staff, to all levels of administration and representatives of its community (students, collaborating bodies, etc.) through regular meetings and exchange of views regarding the Internal Quality Assurance System,
3. securing the necessary resources for the implementation of the quality policy and the orderly operation of the Internal Quality Assurance System.
4. monitoring the implementation of quality objectives, performance indicators and the general operation of the Internal Quality Assurance System through its annual reviews,
5. making decisions for the continuous improvement of the quality of the educational, research and administrative work produced in the context of the review of the Internal Quality Assurance System,
6. developing the appropriate operating environment for the Quality Assurance Unit (QAU), its recruitment with sufficient and highly qualified personnel, as well as its systematic training and assessment.
In addition, the role of the involved parties in the quality assurance followed by the University is determined as follows:
The Quality Assurance Unit (QAU) is the central coordinating body for all quality assurance and evaluation procedures of the University within the framework of the Internal Quality Assurance System (ICSA).
The members of the Internal Assessment Team of each Department are responsible for carrying out the annual internal assessment of the study programs of all three cycles in collaboration with the University’s Quality Assurance Unit. In addition, they set the Department's goals and monitor their implementation. They are also responsible for the coordination and timely collection of data required for the operation of the Unit, the monitoring of the completion of the evaluation forms of the teaching and research programs as well as the questionnaires. Finally, the members of the Internal Assessment Team draw up the proposal for the academic certification of the study programs of all three cycles and participate in the internal and/or external quality assurance procedures of the University.
AUEB’s teaching staff produces research and coordinates teaching, contributes to the improvement of the students’ active and meaningful participation in the learning process to complete their studies on time. In addition, it systematically guides and encourages students to develop skills by covering current developments in science and the labour market. Moreover, it actively participates in the internal and/or external quality assurance procedures of the University, focusing on the certification of the first, second and third cycle study programs.
AUEB’s administrative staff actively participates in its administrative operation, complies with the requirements of the Internal Quality Assurance System, and contributes to the continuous consolidation and improvement of its effectiveness
AUEB’s students actively participate in the educational process, through regular monitoring, studying, and improving their performance. Additionally, they play an important role in the internal and/or external quality assurance processes mainly through their participation in the satisfaction surveys of the educational and administrative work. Finally, students, through their representation in bodies, committees, or groups, are given the opportunity to participate in decision-making processes and submit their proposals.
In this context, AUEB’s administration supports the University's evaluation procedures which are coordinated by the Quality Assurance Unit (QAU), while encouraging the use of various total quality management tools for the operation of the Internal Quality Assurance System.
The Quality Assurance Unit Responsibilities & AUEB's Internal Quality Assurance System Structure are posted on the Unit's website: https://www.aueb.gr/el/modip